If you’re planning to sell your home, it’s a good idea to consult a realtor before you start painting or patching. A good realtor who knows the market can suggest specific upgrades and repairs to give you the most bang for your buck.
However, there are a few basic upgrades we’ve compiled that are always a good place to start.
1) Landscaping : Curb appeal is the first thing a potential buyer sees and is especially important in Portland where grey days can always use a dash of color. Laying down fresh mulch and planting bright seasonal flowers or filling an empty garden bed with ornamental grasses is inexpensive and can make or break the first impression of a house.
2) Fresh Neutral Paint : A fresh coat of paint in light neutral colors can make a room seem more spacious and hide any imperfections on the walls. Use of bolder colors can also help draw attention away from less desirable features that cannot be changed. Always consult a color expert before using any bright or bold colors! And yes, we know “neutral” is a hot button for those of us craving something stronger but remember, the way we live is not the way we sell.
3) Power Washing & Window Cleaning : Hire a professional or rent a power washer and clean the whole outside of the house just before listing. But be careful, a power washer in the wrong hands can bring down shingles and wash away paint. If you have doubts, hire a handyman to do the job. You should also have the inside and outside of your windows sparkly clean. You will be amazed at what a difference it makes!
4) Replace Light Bulbs : Replace any harsh fluorescent lighting with softer incandescent bulbs that are easier on the eyes. If you don’t have many windows, also consider amping up the amount of lighting in your home. This can also be accomplished by having your home professionally staged.
5) Update Fixtures & Appliances : Replacing old fixtures like shower heads, doorknobs (try finding something that matches the era of your house), kitchen cabinet pulls, toilet seats, ranges and dishwashers can make the home seem updated and dialed in to a potential buyer and is less expensive than remodeling an entire kitchen or bathroom.
So have at it but first, please, call us for a consultation! As part of our service as listing agents we provide a professional stager and staging report to help you get your house ready to sell in the shortest time for the highest price!